Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Guess What's Finished?

Oh yes! I've finished my first sweater! I may get a picture up later, but right now, I'll just give you a few specifics:

Pullover Sweater:
Yarn: 3 skeins Lion Brand Homespun in Spring Green(?)
Needles: U.S. size 10 & 8's single points
Pattern: Hooded Sweater Free Pattern from Lion Brand (Note: You may get taken to a "register for free pattern" page if you have not done this yet. I don't know of any way to bypass this.)
Length of work: Almost 2 yrs!
Size: Adult S.
Any modifications?
Okay. This is my first sweater, and you may laugh when you read this. I had absolutely no idea about sweater sizes or gauge when I chose what size to make. Also, I have grown in bust size by an inch or two since I choose the size. But anyway, I choose the size that exactly coordinated with my size at the time. I didn't check gauge at all. And so, after almost two years of working off and on on this sweater, I was afraid it wouldn't fit. Therefore I added a zigzag crochet chain insertion at the side seam to add more width. Apparently I was not knitting to gauge. However, this worked for me, rather than against me. Except for the fact that I ran short of yarn to knit the hood, which I left off, opting for no neck finishing at all, this looser gauge was a good thing because the sweater fits! It's a little shorter than I usually like, but I got compliments on it when I showed it to people. There is also one little thing about the front: right under the front neckline there is a purl ridge in the stockinette fabric. It isn't a bad little detail, but I didn't intend it. Unfortunately, my mom took me a little too literally when I asked her to knit a row in my first sweater.
Anything I would have changed?
Not that I know of, actually.

I am wearing the long-running gray cabled socks today. I discovered something the other day. You know about all the issues with the errata in Sensational Knitted Socks, right? Well, there was an error that had already been discovered that I didn't notice. As I knitted, I thought, "It doesn't look quite like the picture but it's probably just me." Well, there is an error in the chart for the Braid Cable with Garter Bead. Someone stuck too many rows in the instructions. There should be eight, but there are twelve!

No comments: