Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A Bit of Snow and Two FOs

We got a bit of snow today. It has been raining the past few days. Unfortunately the snow stuck very little if at all, but it was snow. I like seasons.

I have finished Wheelie (the visor cover and the steering wheel cover) and the Storm socks, which I now call the Martin socks) {and a Knitty nosewarmer!}:

Specifics:

Wheelie:
Pattern from Knitty Spring '05
Any Modifications?
Not really. I used a whim of the moment method to attach the ends of the steering wheel cover and I made the visor cover to stretch about an inch over the whole of it. I crocheted a chain for the cord.
Yarn: Cascade Fixation color 9045. It's denim-y 1 and 1/2 to 3/4 balls used. I needed a bit of the second ball for the last bit of Wheelie, by the way.
Needles: Susan Bates size 7 metal needles if I recall the brand correctly.
Anything I would have changed?
Maybe try not to knit it in a hurry since it frustrated me when I tried. Or maybe mess around with the gauge because I got slightly strange results.

Martin socks:
Generic top down sock pattern with a pick and choose heel and toe
(Why did I call them the Martin socks? 1. I finished them on Martin Luther King Jr. Day weekend. 2. I admire Martin Luther. Notice that there is no "King Jr." on his name, this is a totally different person, a German. 3. I think that certain characters named Martin from one of my favorite series of books would wear them if they were human. )
Specifically: 2x2 rib for leg and instep. Dutch heel from Folk Socks and a short row toe from Sensational Knitted Socks.
Any Modifications?
Um, no, since I basically made up the pattern, there weren't any.
Yarn: Moda Dea Sassy Stripes, which I reviewed in a previous post. Colorway: Storm About 3/4 each of two balls used.
Needles: Size 3, set of 4 metal dpns.
Anything I would have changed?
Perhaps moved the ribbing stitches to have one purl stitch on each side of the instep. And do something different with the short row toe because I did it wacky and I ended up with a hump at the grafting location.

Nosewarmer:
Pattern from Knitty Winter 2002, link above
Any Modifications?
No, I stuck to the pattern, although it really isn't quite an FO, (and I'm not sure I'd really quite consider it to be one regardless since it's so small) since I have yet to braid the ties. Also, I don't plan to put a tassel on it. I made the adult size.
Yarn: Cascade Fixation left over from Wheelie, very small amount.
Needles: Size 2, dpns
Anything I would have changed?
Not that I know of at this time.

I also finished the first "Christmas sock" Even though it was a good bit larger than the socks I usually make, I used only part of a ball of KnitPicks Palette. The sock was a tad large on the recipient, but I'm thinking I might put it in some warm water when I wash it and apply some agitation to it, making it felt a bit and hopefully shrink a tad.

I'll get back to you on something I'm thinking about, but for right now, bye!

Knit On!

No comments: